Post by doc*dog Karen on Nov 23, 2006 8:52:18 GMT -5
Take an old bicycle rim (without the tire) and remove the spokes. I messed with it till I figured it out, so I can't explain it. I don't really remember now anyway, sorry.
Clean up the rim unless you want it more shabby. Steel wool works like a charm to clean. Get those good ol' free AOL CDs and drill or burn a hole at the exact top and bottom. By that I mean at the end points of a line drawn exactly through the center. I found that tracing the outline of the CD on paper, cutting it out and folding it in half is the easiest way to get your exact points.
Determine how long you want your CDs to dangle, subtracting the distance from the ceiling to the actual rim. Measure double the length of fishing line plus about 8 inches, to string the dangle Lent you need. Place 2 CDs back to back, and thread the fishing line through. When you get the first 2 threaded, pull the line so the mid point of the length is at the drilled hole and tie a knot. Thread the next CD, one end of the line going thru the hole on each side. Tie these in a knot as well. Continue the line up thru the top drilled hole, reversing the process. Essentially, the line is criss-crossing itself thru the holes. I hope this makes sense, I have no idea how to explain it. When you have enough CDs threaded, you can tie your "dangly" into one of the holes in the rim, where the spokes used to be. Use your own discretion about how far apart you want to space the danglies. I then took 4 "S" hooks and hooked them in holes in the rim, equally spaced. I got 4 equal lenghts of chain and hooked one length on each hook. I then hooked the other end of the chain to a hook I had secured in the ceiling. When I made mine, I was really just winging it. You know my engineering is really bad sometimes, right? I haven't figured out yet how to wire this. Mine has just a bulb hanging on a cord, from a hook in the beam. Maybe one of you smarter people can tell us all how to best wire it. Sorry if this was a poor tute. I'll try to remember to take pics to go with it. That should help. AND, if anyone actually understood my pitiful explanation, please edit so others will be more clear. I really am pitiful at explaining things usually. Sorry about that.
2. FInd a bycycle rim that you think is a good size for you, and make it so that the rim is no longer part of the bike. Take the rubber off too...this was somewhat hard for me because it was cold outside...but eventully we just cut it off.
3. clean up the rim...even paint it if you like. Take the spokes out, you should be able to unscrew them with a screwdriver. I left four of the spokes in and used the center to sodder my light/lamp fixture stuff to.
4. What i did for the lighting part was i went to the hardware store and bought a little lamp kit and had my dad help me get all the wiring and such right. (It was more of him doing it and me watching) We put a chain aroung the plug in cord so that we could hang it up also.
5. Now, back to the CD's. Trace a cd onto paper and fold it in half to make points at the exact top and bottom of your cd.
6. I found that the best way to drill holes into the cds was to use a drill press. I tried a regular drill and it shattered or cracked the cd more often than not. I taped a paper towel to the bottom of the drill press so that it would not scratch the cd too much.
7. Yey, you have now gotten through the hard part! Figure out how long you want the cds to dangle and subtract the distance from the ceiling to the actual rim..give yourself about 8 inches of extra inches of string. BTW...you should use fishing line for this.
8. Put 2 cds non-shinny side together and thread the fishing line through. After this, pull the line so that the mid point is through one of the ends of the cd. Tie a knot here. Thread the line through the next two cds and tie knots there also. Continue until you have the amount of cds that you want on the line. The line is criss-crossing itself through the holes. Repeat process until you have as many lines as you want.
9.tie the lines through the holes in the side of the bycicle rim...andddddd you are done!
I am pretty sure these got confusing in the middle...but if you don't understand...just go with the flow...
That's better! #7 is still a bit confusing but I know it'll work out if I sat down to make one. Don't have a drill press but a wood burning tip should work too, ya think? (maybe not as clean of a hole, tho.)
ME LOVE BEAD IDEA!! that would be super cool! my only idea to contribute was to put gels or something else of that sort on the cd's so that they would reflect colors all around the room. I couldn't think of a cheap way to do it though.
Post by wardsha2004 on Jan 13, 2007 22:12:24 GMT -5
This is just an idea...colored tissue paper...when I use it for collages...I can see through it (pictures and writing) when I glue both sides and spread it over my work. It's transparent like stained glass.
kaykay: I AM RETIRED Nurse,love to craft,and recycle.Also love gardening but am limited by physical limitations.But have wonderful family that makes as much as they can accessible to me.Love to grow flowers ,vegetables,and love,love my herbs.
Jul 20, 2014 4:50:09 GMT -5
Rectum : I AM THE CANCER
Sept 24, 2014 20:53:57 GMT -5
Rectum : I KILLED YOUR GRANDMA
Sept 24, 2014 20:54:14 GMT -5